Each fall from 2002 – 2015, the Life Sciences Outreach program presented an opportunity for high school teachers to explore an important area of research in biology by offering five afternoons of faculty lectures, laboratories, tours and related activities.
As the Outreach program transitions to its new home in the Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning at Harvard University, our fall program format is changing to more clearly reflect the mission of the Bok Center. In 2016, graduate students who conduct research involving gene editing, genetics, neuroscience and behavior have been invited to speak to participating teachers. Along with curriculum and media specialists from the Derek Bok Center, these graduate students will collaborate with teachers to explore the development of digital tools to transform the Biology classroom.
Previous years' topics have included:
- Embryology and Development (2002)
- The Biology of Cancer (2003)
- Immunology and Infectious Disease (2004)
- Neuroscience (2005)
- Evolution (2006)
- Stem Cells and Regeneration (2007)
- Microbes and Disease (2008)
- Physiology and Morphology (2009)
- Exploring Biodiversity (2010)
- Neurobiology and Behavior (2011)
- Genomics and Epigenetics (2012)
- Biological and Public Health Perspectives on Disease (2013)
- The Green Planet: Plants and Ecology (2014)
- Animal Behavior: Exploring Where Art Meets Science (2015)
Program Schedule: The program will be held on the following Wednesday afternoons from 4:00PM to 7:00PM:
- November 2nd
- November 9th
- November 16th
- November 30th
- December 14th
Format: 4:00-6:00PM Lectures, discussions and collaborative sessions
6:00-7:00PM Dinner provided by the Outreach Program
Cost: This program is FREE and funded by the Derek Bok Center. 10 PDPs will be awarded upon full completion of the program.
Applicants must be full-time high school life sciences teachers or curriculum directors at public, private, parochial or charter schools in New England. All fields of the application must be completed and applicants will be notified of their status no later than October 12th. Fifty teachers will be accepted to this program. All correspondence regarding the program takes place via email. You can access the application here.
Application Deadline: October 5th, 2016 at midnight